Friday, January 4, 2008

Another 1 million pound challenge - from Oklahoma City, OK. We'll join together with you and up the challenge to 2 million pounds.


Last month I announced our 1 million pound weight loss challenge and it seems to really be taking off. According to the Associated press today the Mayor of Oklahoma City wants the residents of his city to lose 1 million pounds. Good luck, Mr. Mayor. Just for some friendly and healthy competition, we'll up our challenge to 2 million pounds.

The Associated Press says, "(Mayor) Mick Cornett has challenged the city (Oklahoma City, OK), to shed 1 million pounds as its New Year's resolution". Mayor Cornett said, "It's always easier if you're doing something hard if you have other people to do it with". That's what I've been saying on this blog. But I go one step further. I offer the tips & clues to help you get to your goal.

So let's continue with the Brown Bag Diet methodology. So far we have discussed the theory, told the secret and reviewed some popular weight loss programs. You started on your program either at once or as soon as possible and we all decided to take up the challenge to lose at least one pound (for a total challenge of 1 million pounds- now raised to 2 million) .

Now we are going to see our first WATCHWORD which is MAKING A COMMITMENT.

We began with the hard part. Even though you understand where you are in this process you probably still need help. Intellectually you started. But emotionally you to need to convince yourself that this time your efforts will result in reaching your long term weight loss goal and keeping those pounds off.

Here's a tip developed by Benjamin Franklin who was not only one of our founding fathers but also America's first self made millionaire. Yes, he was smart.

When Franklin was faced with a difficult decision he resorted to his "Franklin Decision-Maker".
He took a blank piece of paper and drew a vertical line down the middle. He put all the positives on the left, the negatives on the right. This way he could visualize the facts he needed to make a decision. Of course you already know you need to diet and you know most of the important reasons but because of human nature we all need to absorb those facts internally to satisfy our emotions.

To help get to the commitment stage of your decision to get your weight under control, try this exercise. Draw a line down a piece of blank paper. Put all the reasons for starting a weight loss program on the left. Put the reasons for not starting on the right. You'll be able to visualize the arguments for and against making a commitment to get yourself in shape. I'll give you a start.
(Instead of right & left here I'll state the positives first, followed by the negatives)

THE BEN FRANKLIN DECISION MAKER
(helps you decide to make the commitment)

Positives
1. Fit in my clothes next season

2. Improve my health
3. Improve my looks
4. Improve my confidence

5. Help me get a promotion
6. Make me a chick/boy magnet

(add your own reasons)

Negatives
1. It's not easy
2. I enjoy good food too much
3. I'm not too fat- I'm under tall
4. I enjoy painful knees and hips
5. All my friends are fat
6. I like the sound of heavy breathing
when I go up stairs.

Add you own reasons.

OK Brown Baggers. Let's welcome the mayor of Oklahoma City and all his fellow Oklahoma Cityians. We're glad to have you aboard. I hope reading this blog will help you have an easier time reaching your goals. Together we can lose at least a 2 million or maybe even 3 million pounds. That's a lot of improvement in the health of a great number of people.

Next post I will continue with the watchword system and give the two most important watchwords of Brown Bag Dieting.

Continue recruiting so we can reach our weight loss goals together. Pass the Brownbagdiet.blogspot.com link to all you contacts.

Erwin Posner, R.Ph.

No comments: